Carryover allows water entitlement holders to take their unused water allocation in the following season. It provides all water users - irrigators, urban water corporations, and environmental managers – with greater flexibility to manage their own water availability between seasons.

Carryover is possible in the regulated water systems of northern Victoria, except for the Ovens system where storages are too small to support carryover, and in the Werribee water system in the south. Carryover is also allowed in some groundwater systems, and for bulk entitlement holders in the Wimmera.

See discussion paper attached below and click on this link to see more on water entitlements and carryover.

See factsheets below:
Irrigation modernisation in the Goulburn Murray Irrigation District
Dairy in the Murray Darling Basin
Who owns water in northern Victoria?
Crunch time for the Murray Darling Basin Plan