Information on eID in sheep and goats
*Find an eID information session in your area by clicking here
- All sheep and goats born in Victoria on or after 1 January 2017 require an electronic NLIS tag before being dispatched from their property of birth.
What does it mean?
Victorian producers need to tag all sheep and goats born in Victoria on or after 1 January 2017 with an electronic NLIS tag.
The next key date producers should be aware of is 31 March 2018, when movement of electronically tagged sheep and goats through saleyards and to other properties needs to be recorded and uploaded to the NLIS database. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to upload the information to the NLIS database.
How to order NLIS tags
Order NLIS tags online from Agriculture Victoria.
Tags can be purchased from rural retail outlets if you have a current PIC.
Download and complete an application form and return to Agriculture Victoria.
What do tags cost?
Tags will be cost neutral tags for the first 12 months, with the lowest priced electronic NLIS (sheep) tag at $0.35.
Key transition dates
- From 1 July 2017, saleyards, abattoirs and knackeries will progressively commence scanning electronic tags and uploading the information to the NLIS database.
- From 31 December 2017, Victorian abattoirs and knackeries must scan electronic NLIS tags and record that animals are 'deceased' on the NLIS database.
- From 31 March 2018, all electronically tagged sheep and goats must be scanned in saleyards and uploaded to the NLIS database.
- Property to property movement recording will be required from 31 March 2018 for electronically tagged sheep or goats born after 1 January 2017.
- From 1 January 2019, all sheep and goats from interstate born after 1 January 2017 must be electronically tagged before being leaving a Victorian property.
- From 1 January 2022, all sheep and goats will need to be identified with an electronic NLIS tag before leaving a Victorian property.
Where do I go for more information?
The Agriculture Victoria website has lots of information or you can contact them on 1800 678 779.
Suppliers with eID equipment, software and expertise
Achieve Ag Solutions
ProWay Livestock Equipment
Sheep Data Management
Please get in touch with us if you have any questions.