Be part of a team that makes a difference
The VFF is seeking an experienced manager for the Livestock commodity group to drive key reforms and meet the needs of our members.
About the role
The key focus for the Livestock Commodity Manager is the development and management of member services, recruitment and member retention for the Livestock Group Commodity. The Livestock Commodity Manager will manage membership activity including overseeing events, campaigns, communications and sponsorship supported by the VFF Promotions and Communications division. As well as providing Commodity specific policy advice to the Livestock Commodity President, Commodity Council and members of the Commodity supported by the GM Policy and Policy division. This role also oversees the Stock Sense extension team which delivers animal health and biosecurity information to Victorian sheep, cattle and goat producers including peri-urban landholders.
This is a Maximum term Parental Leave Replacement full time position for 12 months based in the VFF’s Melbourne office with regional travel.
If you would like to join a passionate team, advocating for change to improve the lives of Victoria’s farmers we would love to hear from you.
In undertaking the Commodity Manager – Livestock position, responsibilities will include:
- Develop an operational plan for the Commodity group that aligns with the broader organisation, VFF strategic plan and Annual Operating Plans
- In conjunction with the VFF Policy division, Commodity President and Commodity Council, manage the development of specific Commodity policy and contribute to the development of corporate policy, including the strategic direction of the Federation. This will include identification of Commodity issues, coordinating research and analysis, implementation of policy and programs, monitoring of outcomes and reporting.
- Working closely with and supporting the General Manager Farmer Engagement and other Commodity Managers on issues common to multiple commodities.
- Coordinate all Commodity specific lobbying activity, to ensure appropriate interaction with political and corporate interests.
- Support advocacy and communication initiatives for farmer interests.
- Coordinate policy direction for the Commodity Council and working groups, in conjunction with Commodity President, VFF Policy team, and other relevant sector organisations (i.e. National Farmers Federation, other state farmer organisations)
- Develop and maintain Commodity membership.
- Develop and manage the implementation of member services in the Commodity
- Communicate with Commodity members in relation to policy and service issues, ensuring channels of communication are managed to provide feedback to the Commodity to assist the Commodity President.
- Manage the Commodity annual operating budget in conjunction with VFF General Manager Farmer Engagement and VFF Finance Manager
- Other duties as directed by the GM Farmer and Engagement
A willingness to commit to the VFF values is required:
United – One voice, one team, one dream
Effective – Delivering on a clear strategy, clear goals and outcomes and communicating them
Professional – Treat others with respect, accountable, calm, skilled, honest, competent, positive, authentic, and dedicated.
Connected – Collaborate across the organization, in touch with our members, their issues and needs, strong, clear networks with relevant external organisations
Innovative – Adaptable, modern, applying ideas across commodities, teams and members
Skills and experience
A recognised degree and significant experience in policy development, stakeholder management and lobbying is a prerequisite for selection to this role. Post-graduate qualifications would be highly regarded. Experience within community based or membership based organizations would be advantageous
- Demonstrated experience in a similar management capacity including experience in the administration of a divisional budget, or the capacity to take on a middle management role within a complex issue-rich work environment
- Ability to create impact and WOW factor when necessary
- Strategic planning, formation and policy development skills are essential.
- As the role entails management of the Commodity, in consultation with elected members, well developed consultation, communication and negotiation skills are required to succeed in this position.
- Highly developed communication, consultation and negotiation skills and proficiency with social media platforms and information technology is essential. Understanding the best medium to communicate with various issues arising is also important.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills, together with an ability to establish and foster strong networks within the agricultural sector
- Ability to link to Government and carry out projects with initiative, dedication and respect for members and stakeholders
- Willingness to support the mission and core values of the VFF
This role entails liaising with executives, politicians, members, and councilors. In addition, the role involves the handling of confidential and sensitive information. The ability to maintain confidentiality and trust within the Federation is an absolute requirement for this role.
A current Australian Drivers License is essential.
This is a Maximum Term Parental Leave full time position for 12 months based in the VFF’s Melbourne office.
Remuneration will be commensurate with experience. Applicants must address the selection criteria in their application. The selection criteria can be found in the position description
For more information contact Karen Thomas on 1300 442 481 or [email protected]
Applications close: Friday 1 October 2021
Applications may be reviewed as they are received and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.