- Be part of a team that makes a difference
- Great role in a passionate and dedicated policy team
- Help drive key reforms in rural and regional policy to protect and progress farmers interests
About the role
The VFF represents the interests of farmers and regional communities across a wide range of public policy areas. The VFF is seeking a Policy Advisor to join the fast-paced VFF Policy Team responsible for issues management, policy development and advocacy within the VFF.
As a Policy Advisor with the VFF, you will assist the policy team to manage committees, maintain strong relationships with stakeholders and work to effect change at all levels of government.
The Policy Advisor Environment, Climate and Water will assist with the identification of emerging issues and trends and the development of strategies and priorities to support the interests of VFF members and all Victorian farmers in regard to environment, climate and water policy including: environmental management, invasive pests and weeds, emissions, reductions, carbon markets taxation, water infrastructure and water markets.
This is a great opportunity in a new role. If you would like to join a passionate team, advocating for change to improve the lives of Victoria’s farmers we would love to hear from you.
In undertaking the role of Policy Advisor, responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to key policy development projects, the identification of emerging issues, policy research and analysis, and the prioritisation of research and policy development.
- Monitor industry issues and public debate relevant to farm business and water policy and advising the General Manager Policy and Advocacy and other staff accordingly.
- Provide policy advice to the General Manager Policy and Advocacy, VFF committees and councils and members of the VFF.
- In conjunction with the Policy and Advocacy Team contribute to the coordination of advocacy efforts to ensure there is consistent and effective presentation of the VFF’s position to government and other stakeholders.
- Communicate with VFF members and across the business in relation to environment, climate and water policy issues and ensure feedback is appropriately considered.
- As directed and required by the General Manager Policy and Advocacy, represent the Victorian Farmers Federation on various industry and stakeholder committees and panels.
- Liaise with and organise meetings for members of the VFF Planning, Environment and Climate Change Committee and the VFF Water Council including preparing agendas, briefing papers, and taking minutes.
- Other duties as directed by the General Manager Policy and Advocacy
Skills and experience include:
- Tertiary qualifications and/or demonstrated experience in environmental studies, natural resource management, science, agriculture, public policy, politics, or a related discipline. An understanding of farming systems will also be highly regarded.
- Experience in a role involving agricultural policy would be highly regarded.
- A demonstrated understanding of, or an interest in, the agriculture industry.
- Ability to establish networks within the agriculture sector and government.
- Excellent oral and written skills. This role requires the ability to convey complicated ideas and policy justifications to several audiences through a variety of formats.
- Demonstrated experience in a similar advisory capacity, within a complex issue-rich work environment will be highly regarded.
- A demonstrated understanding of the agricultural industry, regional communities, and government.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to write succinctly
- As the role entails providing advice to VFF members regarding policy and advocacy initiatives, as well as advocating on behalf of the VFF to government and other stakeholders, well developed consultation, communication, and negotiation skills are required.
- This role entails liaising with executives, politicians and VFF members, and involves the handling of confidential and sensitive information. The ability to maintain confidentiality and trust within the VFF and with stakeholders is an absolute requirement for this role.
- A current Australian Driver Licence is essential. A police check and working with children check are required.
This is a full time position.
Salary range $70,000 – $90,000 per annum. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience. Applicants must address the selection criteria in their application. The selection criteria can be found in the position description here.
For more information contact Karen Thomas on 1300 442 481 or [email protected].
Applications close 29 August Applications may be reviewed as they are received. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.