The Senior Policy Advisor – Economic and Rural Affairs is a key member of the fast-paced Victorian Farmers Federation (VFF) Policy and Advocacy Team that is responsible for policy issues management, policy development and advocacy within the VFF.
The Senior Policy Advisor is responsible for the provision of expert policy advice and will assist to manage committees, maintain strong relationships with stakeholders and work to effect change at all levels of government.
In conjunction with the General Manager of Policy and Advocacy, the Senior Policy Advisor will assist with the identification of emerging issues and trends, and the development of strategies and priorities, to support the interests of VFF members and all Victorian farmers regarding a range of policy topics including taxation, competition, supply chains, transport, energy, infrastructure, workforce, and regional service delivery.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading key policy development projects, the identification of emerging issues, policy research and analysis, and the prioritisation of research and policy development.
- Providing expert policy advice to the General Manager Policy and Advocacy, VFF policy councils and committees. Providing policy advice to VFF members as required.
- Monitoring industry issues and public debate on relevant issues and advising the General Manager Policy and Advocacy and other staff accordingly.
- Collaborating with government and other stakeholders to develop policy and to influence policy making processes.
- Representing the VFF on various government and industry policy committees and working groups.
- Contributing to advocacy efforts to ensure there is consistent and effective presentation of the VFF’s position to government and other stakeholders.
- Liaising with and organise meetings for members of VFF Policy Committees including preparing agendas, briefing papers and taking minutes.
- Other duties as directed by the General Manager Policy and Advocacy.
Experience and qualifications
- Tertiary qualifications and/or demonstrated experience in agriculture, economics/commerce, government and/or public policy.
- Experience in a role involving agricultural policy would be highly regarded
- Ability to establish networks within government and the agriculture sector.
- Experience in a similar advisory capacity, within a complex issue-rich work environment will be highly regarded
- A demonstrated understanding of, or an interest in, the agriculture industry
- Sophisticated analytical skills, including the ability to source, synthesise and critically evaluate evidence and data from diverse sources, including but not limited to legislative and regulatory instruments.
- Well-developed, proactive, and creative problem-solving skills, including the ability to design innovative solutions and identify the necessary levers to get things done
- Excellent writing skills. The ability to convey complicated ideas and policy justifications to a number of audiences through a variety of formats.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, including presentation, consultation, facilitation, and negotiation.
- A demonstrated understanding of the government and public policy as it relates to the agricultural industry and regional communities.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a close-knit team as well as independently, and to flexibly manage workload and competing demands.
- Maintaining the strictest confidentiality and trust within the VFF and with stakeholders.
If this opportunity sounds perfect for you, please apply by uploading your cover letter and resume through the apply button.
Applications close 25th October 2023.